Sunday, April 29, 2012

Our Junk, Your Treasure

Whoever thought that having a garage sale while juggling a 3 month old and a 2 year old was crazy.  Oh wait, that was me.  Between tantrums, naps, pumping bottles, getting snacks, ref-ing fights between little 2 year olds and trying to keep the sale together, I'm not sure how I survived. But I LOVE having garage sales!  If I could be a professional garage sale go-er/throw-er, I would be. A huge thanks to my friends for helping me run the show.  It would have been impossible without them.

About a month ago, I got together with a few friends and what turned out to be a small group actually turned into 9 families!!  We had stuff up to our ears.  Literally.  Friday morning came early and we started setting up a little after 6:30.  People started coming about 7:30 and didn't stop!  Pretty close to mass chaos.  We finally had to just put stuff away because between all the moms helping me run the show, we had about 6 kids who majorly needed a nap and no daddies to help!

Saturday was a bit slower but still steady.  We wrapped up a little after 3:30...I think. At that point I was on autopilot. There was a red BMW that pulled up as we were getting our stuff ready for Goodwill and we told them to just take whatever they wanted.  And boy did they!  They barely had room enough for the people to sit in the car.  I'm glad they found some stuff - it helped us not to make more than one Goodwill run.

All in all, we had an AWESOME sale. It was crazy, stressful, tiresome and hot, but oh so worth it.

Some of my favorite moments:

-A hug from a stranger that we sold furniture to.  Apparently we are now BFF's. Hi Gail!
-Someone asking if we would take $3 for an $8 item on Friday morning.  Are you insane?  No way!  Come back tomorrow and ask me that.
-A lady going off about people getting ripped off for trying to help Haitian people. Seriously, stop talking. Now.
-The clothing racks that just kept falling over.
-Seeing all the crazy things people bought...and they were excited about it.
-Spending time with some of my best friends for two days while we laughed and talked...and made money!!!

Ahh.  I already can't wait until next year.  Who's with me?!

1 comment:

Ryan and Katie said...

I think you and I need to go into business together. I want to be a professional organizer and you can help them sell the stuff they don't want once we organize their house! Like Clean Sweep!! :)